Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Ronald Knox Bible to be Available Once Again (Baronius Press)

Msgr. Ronald Knox (1888-1957) 

From the Baronius Press descriptive page:

With a distinct style, it . . . has been highly praised for its freshness of approach, for its poetic language and for the ease with which it may be read. Its style has succeeded in giving meaning to passages which in earlier versions have been difficult to understand.


The great Protestant Bible scholar F. F. Bruce has written about the Ronald Knox version:

"[It] has the overwhelming advantage of being the work of a man who had an uncanny instinct for getting the right word or the right phrase in any given context. . . . Knox was a master of English style. . . . Never did a translation read less like a translation.

. . . a most readable edition of the English Bible.

(History of the Bible in English, New York: Oxford University Press, 3rd edition, 1978,  208, 212)
 
For more information, see the Baronius Press web page, Knox Bible: Literary and Reverent.


****

8 comments:

GUE Grue said...

Brother David,

Ronald Knox has been a wonderful read in my journey into Roman Catholicism.

Your old Anglo-Catholic friend,
St. Worm
(Steve)

P.S.

I emailed you a few days ago about this, you never responded, so I assume you are very busy or you didn't get it!

Dave Armstrong said...

Hi Steve,

Yes, I read it, and will respond at some point (sorry for the tardiness). I've been really busy and am going on a little four-day trip soon.

I hope you are well these days.

GUE Grue said...

No worries! Have a good trip, brother.

romishgraffiti said...

I stumbled on this and thought I'd give you a heads up: http://judeochristianstuffofsomesort.blogspot.com/2012/09/ok-so-i-just-got-back-from-visit-to.html

Dave Armstrong said...

Yeah, I knew about it. This guy is a very confused person. He posted this junk here, then kept it on his own site. I don't waste time on anti-Catholic nonsense

Jim said...

Hi, Dave.

Hope you have a great trip. I just happened to look at your site, and noticed this post. What do you think about Baronius Press, as far as their orthodoxy? I had a guy at a Catholic bookstore that has some reservations about their re-issue of
Apologetics and Catholic Doctrine.
(Maybe in the footnotes?) I have a copy of it, but really haven't investigated his claims.

Thanks for all you do, and God bless!

Jim

Jim said...

Hi, Dave.

Hope you have a great trip. I just happened to look at your site, and noticed this post. What do you think about Baronius Press, as far as their orthodoxy? I had a guy at a Catholic bookstore that has some reservations about their re-issue of
Apologetics and Catholic Doctrine.
(Maybe in the footnotes?) I have a copy of it, but really haven't investigated his claims.

Thanks for all you do, and God bless!

Jim

Dave Armstrong said...

Thanks for your kind words.

I haven't checked that out, so can't comment. But the Knox Bible is certainly orthodox.