Friday, October 10, 2008

Blog Passes One Million Visitors Mark (1.5 Million Page Views)

[MillionPennies.jpg]

One Million Pennies
[ source ]

One million! That's hard to believe. We see what one million pennies look like, above. One person wondered how a person might visualize a million, and made a document consisting solely of periods, in Word format. It came out to 254 pages, single-spaced, and was 976k in size.

Many heartfelt thanks to all my readers for following my verbal meanderings these past 4 1/2 years. Hopefully, I've accomplished something by God's grace, and you have been edified and perhaps learned a thing or two along the way. I know I've learned a great deal, interacting with you in the comboxes.

This blog began on 2 February 2004. By my reckoning (including two leap year days: February 29), that is a total of 1717 days in existence. Dividing the exact number of visitors (1,000,563) by that number, we arrive at average daily visitors for the entire period, of 583, or about two people every five minutes since 2 February 2004. I was running a large website for seven years before that time. I don't have statistics on that, but it could very well have been another two million visitors, for all I know. That's pretty good numbers, considering that I was described as follows, by one of my biggest critics, a month after this blog began, and again a month after that:
[H]is writing takes wild leaps from topic to topic, inserts endless (and often gratuitous) irrelevant material that serves only to cover the shallow nature of what is being said, and in the end requires one to possess the skill of nailing jello to a wall to be able to respond to it for its utter lack of substance.

[Y]ou know, in your heart of hearts, that this fella, uh, bless his soul, has no idea what he's talking about. . . . he's clueless . . . Uh, because you [laughter] look at some of his books, and it's just like "wow! there's just no substance here." It's just rattle rattle rattle rattle, and quote John Henry Cardinal Newman and that's the end of the subject. And there's no meaningful argumentation going on at all.

[listen to the audio of a nine-minute rant directed towards yours truly! -- including these gems: some of my favorite insults]
Another favorite swipe of mine comes from some sort of thesis ("Joyfully Justified") from one Rev. Roger L. Smalling (D. Min.), of the Presbyterian Church of America, referring to my first book, A Biblical Defense of Catholicism:
This writer claims he is committed to scripture as the basis of Catholicism. He is aggressive and confident. The book has value as documentation for the way Catholicism misuses scripture to justify certain doctrines. It contains some of the most subtle scripture-twisting I have ever encountered and may mislead those unfamiliar with sound biblical hermeneutics.
Not much in-between in opinions about me! LOL I confess that I get a kick out of the asinine, gratuitous insults (though on another more serious level all such insults, directed towards anyone, sadden me, because of what they reveal about the soul of the person making them). I'm glad I can laugh at this garbage, since I get more than enough of my share of such insults.

Anyways, despite all this (I wanted to provide a bit of "entertainment" in this statistical post), somehow one million visitors have come to this blog. I'll always be grateful for and humbled by your reading of my work. Thanks so much. I'm honored and privileged to be able to serve you in this way. If even a small fraction of this one million have had their faith strengthened and have become more confident, committed Catholics or other kind of Christian as a result, then it was worth the effort put in, a million times over.

No comments: