Sunday, September 25, 2005

Two of My Books Reviewed in "Homiletic and Pastoral Review" / Amazon Book Round-Up

Michael J. Miller was kind enough to review my first book, A Biblical Defense of Catholicism, in the May 2004 issue of this respected magazine. I just heard about that today (I always seem to be the last one to find out about these reviews - odd!). Now in the October 2005 issue, he has also favorably reviewed my latest published work, The Catholic Verses: 95 Bible Passages That Confound Protestants. The latter review is available online, as part of Ignatius Insight (HPR is published by Ignatius Press). Here is a little bit about HPR:

America's Leading Pastoral Magazine


Founded over one hundred years ago, Homiletic & Pastoral Review is one of the most well-respected pastoral magazines in the world. Priests and laymen alike have relied on HPR for decades.

Edited by Fr. Kenneth Baker, S.J., author of the best selling, Fundamentals of Catholicism, and of the popular introduction to the Scripture, Inside the Bible. Editor for over thirty years, Father Baker's experience is invaluable. His powerful monthly editorials will inform and inspire you. HPR features solid articles on every aspect of pastoral life and eloquent weekly sermons that illuminate through exposition of
scripture.

Faithful to the teachings and tradition of the Church for over a century, our readers know what to expect in each issue.

. . . We don't bend and sway with every passing fad. Built on the solid foundation of the Catholic Church, we espouse the timeless truths of Faith that never change.

. . . The Homiletic & Pastoral Review is unique among religious journals in the United States in that it was the very first clergy magazine to appear in the United States and has been the leading journal of its kind for over 100 years.

I found a page which includes many recent sample articles from HPR. Another has articles dating from 1996 to 2002.

I am humbled and honored by hearing about both of these articles, and to be included in any fashion in such a reputable magazine. Actually, this is the first time I know of that my books have been reviewed anywhere in the orthodox Catholic paper media. Previously, I knew only of reviews in online venues, such as Catholic Exchange, or amazon.com. Additionally, inclusion of these two books in the Catholic Answers catalogue (Defense / Verses) has been very helpful and appreciated, as is my entry (Defense) in the Coming Home Network catalogue.

It's been a long time coming (remember, it took me seven years to get my first book published by a "real" publisher; it was finished in May 1996), so it is quite gratifying (and again, humbling) on a personal level, to receive this exposure. Thanks be to God that He has graciously allowed me this opportunity to share His message of the Gospel and the fullness of Christianity in the Holy Catholic Church with thousands of people, through the medium of writing. All glory to God.

While we're at it, with this "book talk," here are the current amazon.com statistics for my books (sales rank means how well a book is selling by rank - not numbers of sales - the lower the better. Below 50,000 is considered doing very well). I have listed the tally for yesterday, followed by today:

A Biblical Defense of Catholicism

Sophia Institute Press (June 1, 2003)
17 reviews, averaging 4 stars out of 5
32,693 / 46,963

The Catholic Verses

Sophia Institute Press (June, 2004)
5 reviews, averaging 4 1/2 stars
26,291 / 65,605

More Biblical Evidence for Catholicism

Author House (January, 2002)
5 reviews, averaging 4 stars
70,517 / 143,732

The New Catholic Answer Bible (I authored half of the 88 topical notes, with co-author Paul Thigpen)

Our Sunday Visitor (March 30, 2005)
1 review: 5 stars
36,711 / 79,420

The Catholic Answer Bible (first edition, with only my own apologetic notes - uncredited!)

Our Sunday Visitor (September, 2002)
3 reviews, averaging 4 stars
172,124 / 221,997

Surprised by Truth (my conversion story is one of the eleven)

Basilica Press (September, 1994)
73 reviews, averaging 4 1/2 stars
9,412 / 27,429

The Catholic Answer Book of Mary (includes my article, "The Imitation of Mary")

Our Sunday Visitor (March, 2000)
1 review: 5 stars
495,109 / 489,517

Please consider purchasing one or more of these books, or the e-book versions I offer on the sidebar (11 books in Microsoft Word 2000 for only $25) - where I actually receive far more royalties, since it is almost pure profit. I receive about half of my income from book royalties and donations.

No comments: