Thursday, September 01, 2005

Neat Quotes, Blog Minutiae, & Gratuitous Disclaimers

Here are some of my favorite quotes for your pleasure and edification. Following them are some blog minutiae and various disclaimers.


Neat Quotes

So far as a man may be proud of a religion rooted in humility, I am very proud of my religion; I am especially proud of those parts of it that are most commonly called superstition. I am proud of being fettered by antiquated dogmas and enslaved by dead creeds (as my journalistic friends repeat with so much pertinacity), for I know very well that it is the heretical creeds that are dead, and that it is only the reasonable dogma that lives long enough to be called antiquated.

--- G.K. Chesterton

Day in and day out the daily press does nothing but delude men with the supreme axiom . . . that numbers are decisive. Christianity, on the other hand, is based on the thought that the truth lies in the single individual . . . . . Not until the single individual has established an ethical stance in despite of the whole world, not until then can there be any question of genuinely uniting. Otherwise it gets to be a union of people who separately are weak; a union as unbeautiful and depraved as a child marriage.

--- Soren Kierkegaard

Teach us, good Lord, to serve thee as thou deservest; to give and not to count the cost; to fight and not to heed the wounds; to toil and not to ask for rest; to labour and not to ask for any reward save knowing that we do thy will.

--- St. Ignatius of Loyola

The great argument used now against any theological proposition is not, that it is untrue, or unthinkable, or unedifying, or unscriptural, or unorthodox, but simply, that the modern mind cannot accept it.

--- Ronald Knox

Are you not ashamed that you give your attention to acquiring as much money as possible, and similarly with reputation and honour, and give no attention or thought to truth and understanding and the perfection of your soul?

--- Socrates

Thirty-seven years of teaching have taught me that convincing arguments will only carry the assent of those willing to accept the conclusion drawn. Numerous are those who will never be convinced because their will stands in the way: the conclusion is not to their taste. It is sadly true that false arguments will "convince" those who welcome their conclusion.

--- Alice von Hildebrand

Favorite Heroes, Saints, and Writers

Venerable John Henry Cardinal Newman, Pope John Paul II, Socrates, St. Thomas More, St. Athanasius, Mother Teresa, St. Paul, the prophets, my wife Judy, Fr. John A. Hardon, S.J., all martyrs, St. Francis of Assisi, St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Catherine of Siena, C.S. Lewis, G.K. Chesterton, Peter Kreeft, Thomas Howard, St. Augustine. John Wesley, Soren Kierkegaard, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Blaise Pascal

Sorry, Can't Promise Answers to E-Mails

If I tried to do that with the traffic that I get on my website and blog, I wouldn't be able to do anything else, or to produce any new apologetic writings. My website and blog are designed to comprehensively provide answers for theological and apologetic questions. I provide my e-mail mainly for important "contact purposes" (so that I am not "inaccessible").

Mindless and Blind Submission to Rome

To the best of my knowledge, all of my theological writing is "orthodox" and in harmony with the official dogmatic and magisterial teaching of the Catholic Church. In the event of any (unintentional) doctrinal or moral error on my part having been undeniably demonstrated to be contrary to the Sacred Tradition of the Catholic Church, I will gladly and wholeheartedly submit to the authority and wisdom of the Church (Matthew 28:18-20; 1 Timothy 3:15).

Beware of My Shameless Exploitation of Your Words!

All posts here (you are hereby forewarned) will be fair game to be posted on my website. As anyone familiar at all with my website knows, I love to put up dialogues with those who differ from my viewpoint. I am a Socratic, and I want people to see how two different viewpoints interact with each other, and to help them develop their critical thinking, and to make intelligent, informed choices.

Hopeless, Insufferable Bias (But Alas, Freely Confessed)

Do I have a bias? Of course (like everyone else). I'm an orthodox Catholic (i.e., one who actually believes all that the Catholic Church teaches. Having a bias, it should be noted, is different from being grossly unfair or some sort of propagandist (or flat-out dishonest). The honest man who wishes to act like a gentleman and a Christian, admits his inevitable bias upfront, and then proceeds to be as fair as he can to opposing positions, and as charitable as possible to the persons who hold them.

This Blog Moves

I have set my blog controls so that ten posts (including photographs) are on the front page at any given time. Some will be shortened for ease of viewing access. By clicking on the words Tolle, lege!, readers can view the entire paper. When they roll off the page they are still in the archives (accessed at the bottom of the sidebar), and (almost all) listed on my Super-Links Page, from my website. The speed at which the front page moves will be determined by the amount of participation. If it is relatively slow, I will keep adding material until I can achieve more participation. If there are a lot of comments, then I will make sure the post getting them stays on the front until the discussion dies down.

No comments: