Sunday, April 17, 2005

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?

One of those fun quiz / learn sumpin' about yerself page . . .

My profile is:

75% General American English
15% Upper Midwestern
5% Midwestern
5% Yankee
0% Dixie


Which comes as no surprise. I'm a lifelong Detroit area resident (as my adorable 3-year-old daughter says, holding up her hand: "we live in the big mih-hen!" -- i.e., "mitten", cuz Michigan looks like one), and our dialect is pretty boring and standard.

What would be interesting to find out is if any lifelong resident of some place (who wasn't raised by someone from somewhere else, etc.) gets a profile other than what is typical for that area.

My absolute favorite English dialect is Irish or Scottish. I could listen to the lady-host of The Thistle and Shamrock radio show (usually public radio) till Kingdom Come! I'm not sure which of the two she is (I should, but I don't), but it is an absolutely delightful accent.

No comments: